July 30, 2008 In Creativity
Need to jumpstart the creative process? Here are some ways to spark your imagination:
- Synthesis: add something. Introduce a new element, either similar or completely different.
- Subtraction: take something away. Make it simpler, purer. Reduce it to the bare essence.
- Connection: make connections from your subject to other subjects. Keep moving outward until you find a connection that no one has made before.
- Sheer quantity: how many ways can you think of to approach the problem? Use a sketchbook to come up with 100 possibilities.
- Nature: the source of creativity. Get as close to nature as your environment will allow. Let yourself become immersed in it.
- Complementary medium: for a different perspective on your problem. If you are a visual artist, listen to music. If you are in business, go to a museum. If you are a writer, examine architecture. You get the idea.
- Take a nap: your subconscious mind works while you sleep.